For I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Project #1 - No Grocery Shopping for 2 Weeks!



WHAT? NO SHOPPING?
After discussing this idea with my husband (the kids don't really have a say) we decided to take the challenge of eating what we already had for two weeks. I realized a few things:  that everything I have is replaceable and sales are cyclical; that we have never gone without; with a new year dawning, it was a good time to make adjustments.
I hadn't been to the grocery in several days, so I made my final trip Friday (last week's budget) after taking inventory.  There were a few necessary items I needed to complete my two week menu plan. If you follow my couponing blog at www.frequentbuyer.blogspot.com, you may have a lot of the same stuff stored up in your own freezer and pantry.

This is the two week dinner plan, and when I prepare the dish, I'll break down the cost:
2 nights homemade pizza  (bought cheese)
1 whole grain spaghetti & meatballs  (bought bagged salad)
1 whole grain ziti, vegetable & garlic bread (bought loaf to freeze)
1 roasted whole chicken, flavored rice, vegetable
1 small meatloaf, broad noodles, vegetable
1 dinner of frozen stuffed chicken breasts, roasted potatoes, salad (2nd bagged salad)
1 turkey burgers, french fries (24 frozen turkey burgers)
1 Oriental BBQ whole chicken with brown fried rice
1 black beans, rice & turkey kielbasa (bought kielbasa)
1 pot of 3-bean chili (bought 6lbs beef for this and tacos)
Three pounds of taco meat for tacos, burritos, nachos
Chicken parmesan, side pasta, salad (bought 3lbs boneless chicken)

Lunch for me is usually leftovers or soup (which I have plenty) but on the weekends, everyone wants a hot lunch.  Here is what I have planned:
hot dogs with beans
ham and cheese panini sandwiches (need bread)
hot dogs with warm macaroni salad
turkey burgers on toast
dinner leftovers

Here is what I plan for breakfast:
3 boxes of pancake mix- each box will make about 4 dozen four-inch pancakes or 2 dozen waffles
4 boxes of cereal
2 dozen eggs, frozen sausage patties
Oatmeal
Bran muffins, cinnamon muffins, corn muffins
Fruit - have a melon, some pears and a bag of apples, various fruit cups
Cereal bars with fruit and fiber
Lots of oranges and tangerines from the in-laws' trees
Fresh squeezed juice!

Things I may run out of?  Milk, eggs, bread, hot chocolate if it stays cold...






No comments:

Post a Comment