For I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 8 - Humility

There was on overwhelming sense of humility at the funeral today, where those in attendance whispered, avoided eye contact and stifled tears.  I say humility in the sense that it is the opposite of pride, something that would have been completely inappropriate in that setting where people were broken emotionally and spiritually.

Had someone entered into that solemn occasion with pomp and circumstance (ostentatious; boastful) in order to draw attention to themselves I would have been shocked and offended.  There is no way that such a person would be identifying with the grief of the family, like other respectful mourners.

Later in the day, I began thinking about how easily we can put on humility—like a piece of clothing—for a time; because for that period of time, we have put someone else's needs high above our own (like at the funeral).  If only we were better at that, with hearts that were forever tender and compassionate.

The bible says of Jesus, in Philippians Chapter 2:
"Though He was God, He did not think of equality with God as something to cling to.  Instead, He gave up His divine privileges; He took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being.  When He appeared in human form, He humbled Himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross."

Let's take pride in Christ, and what He can do through us when we share His humble attitude.



Day 8 - Saturday - Eating from the Pantry 


Breakfast - cereal and remaining leftovers of pancakes and waffles
I guess I'll need to make some more soon...
I'm still working on coffee cream because I didn't really love it today and Neil is threatening to go buy some.  I'm trying to keep him reined in.

Lunch - we attended a funeral service today and had food following the service

Dinner - ate popcorn and snacks while watching a movie (sounds junky, but good)

Total cost of meals for this unusual day: about $4





No comments:

Post a Comment