For I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 3 Thoughts and Eats

In trying to define contentment today, I became fixated on these two words:  peaceful and passive.  We could probably have a great debate about how our Lord embodied each of these traits, and I'm sorry to say I have some difficulty liking the passive part, because I like action.

I'm careful not to allow movie clips take root in my brain, since I grew up watching Hollywood films about Jesus—I'm pretty sure most producers (many of them Jewish) were more concerned about marketability than about accuracy when portraying the Lord. Examining the arrest, crucifixion and death of Jesus I can't miss the passivity that is apparent in His demeanor, however, when I read his passionate prayer prior to all that, as He resigns his will to the Father's, I believe God grants His Son supernatural peace that will carry Him through the agony to come. 

When I think of the word peaceful, it brings to mind positive things like: quietness with strength and undisturbed in emotion; but passive carries a somewhat negative connotation, as in:  inactive, hands-off, nonviolent, unresisting.  Many martyrs have gone to their deaths passively, but could only do so because of peace and the knowledge of heaven's reward.  Perhaps this scripture is why they find contentment even in death:

Hebrews 12:2:  "so let us fix our eyes upon Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross..."


So what's the conclusion?  (later)



DAY 3 - Cooking Day
I cooked 4 1/2 pounds of beef today preparing 3lbs of taco meat and 1.5lbs for chili.  I always buy boxed taco dinners when they are 2 for 1 because that pays for the tortillas (20) and there are 2 seasoning mixes and 2 pouches of salsa included.










Sometimes I get pre-packaged beef at Walmart.  Each of these tubes is 3lbs and costs about $5.65 and believe it or not, sometimes these packages get marked down pretty low.
Whatever I don't use I vacuum pack with food saver bags which keep 2 weeks in the fridge.



Two boxes cost about $2.70 when on sale (same with Old El Paso brand).
Made a giant pot of chili, good for one dinner and lots of lunches.










Whole grain spaghetti and meatballs are on the stove right now and the batter for 4 dozen oatmeal/chocolate chip cookies is made.  I will bake a few tonight and store the dough in the fridge for another time.
Tomorrow I may rest, but for now, I am satisfied... or should I say content?

By the way, regarding the peaceful vs. passive, I think passive is okay as long as its not just quitting in disguise.  It must be accompanied by a declaration of faith such as "the peace of God that passes all understanding is mine and will guard my heart and mind..." found in the fourth chapter of Philippians.


1 comment:

  1. that was great I will be following your blog from now on nice to be in contact Love you guys Lynne Tavanyar

    ReplyDelete