For I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 9 - Grace

Today brings an excellent opportunity to boast in the grace of God, not only because it's my favorite topic to discuss, but also because of the freedom it brings.  I love to teach, I suppose, because I love to learn; so when I began writing about The Challenge, I knew something would happen that might seem like a setback, or a violation of the rules I concocted, in order that I might talk about grace. Here's what happened:

We ate out after church today, and it was justifiable for these reasons:
1. Our anniversary was yesterday, but we didn't celebrate (funeral)
2. Our daughter was visiting for the day, so all the family was together
3. We planned to go right from church to the Orlando Science Center for a special event

When my husband suggested going out this morning, I balked.  I explained that I could not break my commitment to Eat from the Pantry, especially because I had made the commitment public.  I then offered to make food and bring it with us, pack drinks, snacks, blah, blah, blah.  He knew right away that would put way too much pressure on me and took control, made the decision grabbing Steak N Shake coupons as we left early this morning.

I really love this man who knows how to take control before I let something take control of me.  I can be so rigid sometimes, because I have the personality of a director.  Yet he knows and lives in a state of grace where things bend and adapt because he is a peacemaker.

Did I fail the challenge?  No way!  Am I giving up now?  Why would I want to zap my own spiritual vitality by feeling condemned?  I am not fearful of God, nor am I a slave—I am his daughter.  As the word says:
"You have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead you received God's spirit when He adopted you as His own children." (Romans 8:15)  
Which of us would be disappointed in our kids for something so unimportant?  As a parent, I would be proud of my child for even attempting to make positive changes, and that is how I think God feels about me.  I was so pleased down deep inside to get this little break, making this day even more special.

Day 9 - Eating from the Pantry

Breakfast - Neil baked cinnamon muffins (85 cents for the mix)
Lunch - restaurant ($30)
Dinner - Chili/mac (still eating the leftover stuff and it's good)

Total cost of food for the day about $33

Final Note:  
Don't obsess about other people's expectations of you, or put unnecessary demands on yourself.  May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace, instead.




No comments:

Post a Comment