For I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 6 - Leave Your Worries There

Remember that Bobby McFerrin song from 1988, "Don't Worry, Be Happy?"  I cannot forget it because we had one of those Wide Mouth Bass plaques that sang the song every time a motion sensor was tripped.  I'm pretty sure it landed in a garage sale and is torturing some other family.

The "don't worry, be happy phrase" was actually written by someone else, and McFerrin penned his song after he read a poster which contained that encouraging phrase.  Here is the author of it, and a one sentence bio from Wikipedia about him:


Meher Baba (Devanāgarī: मेहेर बाबा), (February 25, 1894 – January 31, 1969), born Merwan Sheriar Irani, was an Indian mystic and spiritual master who declared publicly in 1954 that he was the Avatar of the age.

Notice the word avatar?  You've probably heard it a lot lately because of the multi-million grossing movie of the same name.  In the Hindu religion, avatar is an incarnation of god.  Meher Baba had many followers in both the east and west who put their trust in him, believing he had the divine ability to make them carefree.

Nothing wrong with folks being happy, but the older I get, the more I understand that happiness is fleeting.  My bible doesn't say "always be joyful," it says "always be full of joy in the Lord."  When we take our concerns to Him prayerfully, we are able to leave our worries there and receive His peace in return.

Eating from the Pantry - Day 6


Breakfast - leftover waffles, and cereal ($1 for the entire box)

Lunch - PB&J, which I still love

Dinner - tacos and nachos (I cooked 3 pounds of taco meat on Monday).  I make homemade nachos with taco meat ($6 beef) ($2 mixes), chips ($2), some shredded cheese ($2), chopped olives ($1), lettuce ($1), beans & rice leftovers (75 cents) and throw it all in the oven.  The ingredients for the tacos and nachos will last for 2 dinners, and a few lunches or snacks ($15 total).



Total for the day $16


I am amazed at how well this is going after six days, and all I had to do today was some reheating.  The upcoming weekend may be a challenge with a busy schedule, but some careful planning will help us stay on track with The Challenge.






No comments:

Post a Comment