For I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 2 - Contentment even in the midst of difficulty

Paul's letter to the Philippian church began as a 'thank you' letter and turned into a teaching on contentment and joy.  Imagine how difficult it would be for an apostle and church-planter to be stuck in house arrest for preaching; awaiting an audience with Caesar who would decide his fate.  Nonetheless, Paul never wavered in his faith and took every opportunity to encourage those around him.

As a family, we've experienced challenges in so many areas, yet our faith is strong.  It was out of necessity that I started on the road to frugal living and dragged my entire family along.  Now we compare notes and brag about our bargains and savings. 

I love the adventure of bargain hunting, but even more, the adventure of faith--trusting and believing God to meet our every need. 

Eating from the Pantry - Day 2

We love Sundays, and I especially love that I've trained the guys to expect only 2 meals from me.  We always breakfast at home, occasionally have lunch out after church (if we have a www.restaurant.com gift certificate) or I make something when we get home around 1:00 and then it's everyone for himself for the remainder of the day. 

Breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage patties & toast ($1.25 for two of us)
others had pancakes from yesterday

Lunch - made 6 of the 24 turkey burgers (I told my picky son they were 'burgers' and hid the box--he liked them) and baked frozen fries (less than $5 for all of us)

Dinner - Luckily, we were invited to a party this evening to celebrate our neice's college graduation and there was plenty of good food (no charge).

We had our late night hot chocolate and some fig newtons (paid 50 cents for the box) so late night snack was about $1.

Cost for the entire day's food - $7.25 

I don't want to obsess about money, that is not the reason for listing cost, it's simply proof that it can be done.  It's amazing how far money stretches when you pay attention to where it goes.  I wish I had listened to my dad when he started me on a cash envelope system of budgeting when I got my first real job. But my God is a redeemer!  It is never too late to start over.



No comments:

Post a Comment