For I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

Friday, January 22, 2010

Days 13 and 14 - Challenges and Trials



I apologize for losing yesterday altogether as I spent most of it in bed recuperating from a stomach bug.  We were expecting company after dinner so I rallied and sort of helped while the guys did the necessary cleaning and baking.

When I began two weeks ago calling this adventure The Challenge, I meant it more or less like a dare.  I felt like God had given me the idea to set aside this time to break the routine I had created; be flexible, be happy at home, and mostly, be content with what I already had.  This was fun, not strenuous or frustrating like a real challenge or trial.

Having experienced everything from infertility, to financial loss, to chronic illness, and disabled children, our family has had its share of challenges; there have been times when I thought no one else understood our struggles.  I learned during those times that Jesus sympathized with me, and in that time of need, I could draw close to Him and find comfort.  Here is what the word says:

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15)

Somehow, knowing this is true makes everything easier.  Do you ever wonder how people with no faith in God make it through difficulties?  What have they to hope in?  When we are facing something that seems insurmountable, my husband usually declares, "Either He is God, or He isn't.  I believe He is and that He can do anything!"  My faith is restored, and all is well again.



Eating from the Pantry - Day 13 (Thursday)
Breakfast - Neil made waffles (80 cents for 14 waffles)
No lunch due to illness
Dinner - Hot dogs (90 cents for dogs/$1 for buns)
Cookie dough was about $1

Cost for day's meals less than $4


Eating from the Pantry - Day 14 (Friday)
Breakfast - eggs and leftover hash browns (50 cents)
Lunch - Skipped because of busyness!
Dinner - finally got around to making homemade pizza for the family ($3)  See photos:




This packaged dough mix is Walmart's brand and it costs 44 cents.  I used three bags to make a 24" x 12" deep dish cheese pizza.  The sauce was leftover from Tuesday, and added one bag of shredded mozzarella ($1.50).  Entire pizza $3.





I'm thrilled that we've made it two weeks, and a little shocked that I still have meals from the original list I never even prepared.  I didn't take into account the abundance of leftovers.  Over the weekend, I plan on writing about some things that I learned during the challenge of Eating from the Pantry, so I hope you'll continue to join me here.  Very soon I will introduce the nature of the next challenge on the road to contentment. 


I would love to hear your thoughts, so consider leaving me a comment...

No comments:

Post a Comment