For I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

Monday, March 22, 2010

How wide, how long, how high, how deep

Wow, I'm glad that today is the beginning of a new week, because the last one was full of challenges.  When I think about it, every day is filled with challenges and it's how I react to them that sets the tone for my day.  Where do my thoughts go?  What kind of words are coming from my mouth?  Do I advance or retreat?  I have to answer these questions in order to take my spiritual temperature.

Have you ever prayed, "Lord, make me more like you," or "Have your way in me?"  Rest assured that when you utter prayers like these, He begins the process of making you more Christlike, as that is the ultimate goal.  The interesting thing is that you can stop the process at any time by refusing to submit to God's molding or pruning efforts on your behalf.  We sometimes forget that what seems painful at the moment will surely be profitable in the long run.  We must yield to Him when He allows the inevitable testing of our faith.

I've come to the decision that my future is secure in Him, even if I don't understand what's going on. As a mathematical equation, it might look like this:
Circumstances + Emotions = Worry 
Circumstances + Trust = Faith

In order to keep on going and growing in the right direction, my prayers should reflect the trust and utter dependence I have on God, as Paul said in Ephesians 3:14-19:

"I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources He will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit. Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.  And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is.  Then you will be made complete with all the fulness of life and power that comes from God."

Can we grasp the enormity of His love for us? Before you and I react to anything, we should meditate on this love. When we do, we might better understand the incredible grace His love has afforded us and the reason we should not give in to despair, no matter what the situation may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment